Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Kairo Gets New Release from Arrow Films



According to a Bloody Disgusting article written by JonathanBarkan, UK company Arrow Films will release a Blu-ray edition of the Kiyoshi Kurosawa's horror movie Kairo.

The film follows several young Tokyoites as they realize something strange is going on: A number of their friends suddenly commit suicide and several other people begin disappearing during a short period of time. The young adults discover a connection between these events and a mysterious website containing disturbing images. The website also claims it allows its visitors to meet ghosts. However, the website's purpose is quite a bit more sinister.

The UK edition will be released on December 5, 2016. It contains a number of special features, including Blu-ray and DVD versions of Kairo, new interviews, trailers, and featurettes. The US edition will be released some time in the future. You can also visit the movie's official website (via Internet Archive)

My Thoughts
Kairo is a dark, moody film that slowly builds on dread and tension. The creep factor does stay with you after watching it. I'm not sure if I'll buy the new edition from Arrow Films. I already have a copy of Kairo, so I would essentially be buying a new version of the movie just for the special features. On the other hand, the more I look at the special features, the more interesting they sound. I would like to see the premiere footage from the Cannes Film Festival.

Arrow Films' website states their version of Kairo include a new English translation. When I saw that, I instantly started wondering why a new translation was included. I didn't see anything wrong with the original translation. However, I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know whether or not it really was a translation done well. If I do buy the new edition of Kairo, it would be interesting to watch both releases of the film (the Magnolia Pictures version and the Arrow Films one) so I could see how many differences there are between the subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phobophiliacs promotes constructive communication and debate. However, Phobophiliacs reserves the right to remove any comment that is a personal attack, promotional, generally rude, contains personal information, or doesn't contribute to the topic of the post. No anonymous comments allowed. All comments go through a moderation process. Thank you for following the rules!